June 2022: #BaMFaM Spotlight: Barbara Brutt
We met Barbara through a mutual love of aerial arts. Upon finding out that her creative bones not only graced the circus studio, but also the writing and dance world, we immediately knew she was a force! Barbara joined the BaMFaM this year and performed in her first FaM production. We look forward to many more together!
1. Full Name: Barbara Brutt
2. How long have you been dancing? Since age 7, so that feels like my whole life.
3. Favorite dance style/genre? My training was in ballet, but I really enjoy a more lyrical style.
4. Why do you dance? Dancing moves my body through my feelings, and it’s often been a release from the emotional cycle.
5. What do you do when you're not dancing (occupation/other hobbies)? You’ll find me pirouetting across aerial silks or tendu-ing a pen to paper. In less amusing terms, I train and teach aerial classes, write books, and work my day job as a lead digital content specialist.
6. If you could go on tour with any artist as a backup dancer, who would it be? P!nk. I would hope to do floor work as well as aerial performance!
7. Words to live (and dance) by? Show up imperfectly. It’s too easy to get in your head about being “the best,” but it’s a lot more fun to just show up as you are and do your best.
8. Your handle/other contact info? Find me at barbarabrutt.com, and on Instagram, I’m at @piquelar for aerial adventures or @cordiallybarbara for writing adventures.